Monday, September 22, 2008

My 2 cents on the 09 Schedule....

Hey all...I was talking to a friend about racing and the 09 schedule came up. Now, I know nobody at USAR really cares what I think (I dont mean that rudely either-they have other concerns when they make the schedule and thats ok by me) but here's what I think.


NORTH

Race 1-South Boston

Race 2-Lonesome Pine Raceway

Race 3-Mansfield Motorsports Park

Race 4-Salem Speedway

Race 5-Jennerstown Speedway

Race 6-Motor Mile Speedway

Race 7-Old Dominion Speedway

Race 8-Bristol (COMBO)

South

Race 1-South Georgia Motorsports Park

Race 2-Greenville-Pickens

Race 3-Concord Motorsports Park

Race 4-Hickory Speedway

Race 5-Southern National (Kenly)

Race 6-Caraway Speedway

Race 7-Myrtle Beach

Race 8-Bristol (combo)

CHAMPIONSHIP

Race 1-Mansfield or Jennerstown

Race 2-Southern National or Hickory

Race 3-South Boston or Motor Mile

Race 4-Myrtle Beach

Alright, each division would have 4 half milers with 4 bullrings intertwined within. I would start the season in late March and finish up in October. The Northern Division would hit some familiar tracks plus add Lonesome Pine and Old Dominion Speedway. The South would pick up Greenville Pickens and Caraway. Bristol would close out the regular season in a combo race to crown our champions at the mecca of short track racing. The Championship races would feature 2 half-milers and 2 bullrings that would offer a fair test to determine our overall champion. The races should rotate year from year between Mansfield and Jennerstown (both are worthy), Southern National and Hickory, and South Boston and Motor Mile. Myrtle Beach should always end our season.

I honestly don't think we should be traveling to Iowa and Wisconsin. Both trips are expensive (fuel and travel costs are killer right now) and outside our market area. I may be proven wrong but Rockingham, as cool as it will be to race there, is probably too large of a track for our cars. I think the seperation between the big budget teams and the smaller teams will be exagerated there.

I believe that the economy will be the final determining factor for the 09 schedule. How many tracks turned a profit this year or are financially healthy enough to continue to operate? Lakeland is already off of the schedule and I'm sure (based on a hunch, no hard facts) that contracts with Milwaukee Mile and Rockingham have already been signed. It looks like the future of our series is migrating towards bigger and faster tracks. Is that good? My bet is no, but it could be our only choice.

MK

No comments: