Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Mansfield Preview

Alright-here is the Mansfield Preview.

Mansfield is a neat race track in Northeastern Ohio. It's a true half-mile race track with a traditional oval shape. You make a lot of speed there and it's real difficult to pass. It is a one groove track although it is wide from apron to outside wall. As you pass the start/finish you set up for a low'ish entry to turn one. There's a black strip through the sun bleached asphalt that serves as the "groove". I enter the turn on the lower side of the groove and let the car gradually move up the track as I accelerate. I drive it in pretty deep and use a little brake to keep the car settled. I let the car free roll for a few feet then start back with the gas.

As I do about everywhere else I keep the car tight on the outside wall going down the straight headed for 3. Turn 3 I take a more "late apex" than I do in 1. I enter the turn a little higher and try to cut down the groove in the center so I can maximize speed on exit. Turn 4 exits a little lower than 2 so this seems to work OK for me. There's a nasty bump entering turn 3 so the shock package has to be right.

The keys for this race is to have a good turning race car. You have to be able to turn here-that is the key to going fast. If you can drive into the turns really deep and still get the car to turn then you're going to be the King-Daddy in Qualifying. Another key to this race is pit-strategy. It is so hard to pass cars on the track here, you have to pass as many as possible in the pits. That means pit stops will be critical. Track position will be key so look for the stops to be timed so that you cycle through so that you can get the best possible track position you can get. Finally, we'll be watching for the big one. It seems as if the two races I have been there that sometime there will be a big pile up with 6 or more cars. The good news is that there is room to manuever and miss the big wrecks but the bad news is that because it is so hard to pass, someone will get impatient and lay the bumper to another competitor and cause the aforementioned mess-it's inevitable!

I'm looking forward to Mansfield. I like the track and like the area. I feel like I get around there pretty good and I believe our set-up will be pretty good too. I have a lot of confidence in our team and in myself to get the job done next weekend. My goal is to qualify well (top 20) and get a top 15 finish. Very doable and very realistic I think.

No comments: